Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I love Zits - but not campus shooters

(The comic, not the icky face things)

This is today's Zits cartoon, and I totally LOVE it! It is sooooooo true of what we're going through right now ...



BTW -- any of you who use Blogger ... when using the new interface/editor I had no image upload button, I had to go back to the old editor. Anyone else have that problem?

Yesterday an idiot with an AK-47 opened fire on the University of Texas campus. Praise God he didn't hit anyone, but he did end up killing himself after being chased up six flights of stairs into the Perry-Casteneda Library.

All I could think when I heard about this was: 1) Thank God my "baby" wasn't doing a campus visit yesterday!, and 2) We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.

I knew we weren't "in Kansas" anymore after the Columbine Massacre. But my kid goes to a small Christian school, and although a shooting is possible anywhere, the chances are rather slim. I've been lulled into a false sense of security. College awaits, and alongside the other "parental fears" of kids losing their faith, kids falling in with the wrong crowd, etc., we have the fear of our kid being shot by some maniac with a gun.

I don't see how people who aren't Christians cope with that fear. As it is, I have to bring myself back around to the knowledge that, whatever happens, Aidan's life is in God's hands, and that's exactly where I want it to be. I personally think yesterday was a miracle -- guy with an AK-47 shows up on campus at 8 in the morning and starts firing shots while people are coming to their classes. Nobody is even hurt. From what one eyewitness said, he fired into the ground -- so either he never was really planning to kill anyone (in which case you have to wonder why he went to all the trouble of doing the AK-47/ski mask bit), or he changed his mind at the last minute. Some might even say it's possible there was angelic assistance in keeping that gun aimed at the ground. Any way I look at it I see divine intervention. Of course, God doesn't always choose to stop these things, and I don't pretend to know why. I trust that He knows what He's doing and has an ultimate purpose for whatever happens. I certainly hope and pray that Aidan is never caught up in anything like that!

So ... calmer today (I was a little freaked for awhile yesterday), and on with the college process. Aidan is finally working on his second essay for UT, with the goal of getting his app in by Thursday, Friday at the latest. Please pray that he'll write a super stellar one and that whoever ends up reading his essays will be majorly impressed!

Off to get the clothes out of the dryer ...

No comments: