Friday, December 31, 2010

Class of 2011

Well, it's almost here (and by the time anyone reads this, it WILL be here): 2011

While 2010 was not one of the best years of my life (I mean, seriously, 2-1/2 months of strep throat!), I'm still not jumping for joy that we've hit 2011. This is THE YEAR.

The year Aidan graduates high school.

The year Aidan leaves home and enters college.

It is my earnest prayer that these are the "worst" things that happen in our lives this coming year. But that doesn't mean I'm looking forward to them. I know God has amazing things in store for my amazing son, and I am honestly looking forward to seeing how all God's plans play out in his life. I just hate that it's here already. That the adorable baby who used to study my mouth so hard to try to figure out how to get language out of his mouth is now going to leave the nest to study how languages work. (Okay, I have to stop this right now because I'm about to ring in the new year with tears in my eyes, and I don't want to do that.)

I started reading a new book the other day called "Spiritual Rhythm" by Mark Buchanan, and in the dedication he says something like "To my son ... The seasons from holding you to letting you go went by too fast."

Amen, Mark. Amen.

No comments: